Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Arts Alliance do?
The Arts Alliance facilitates, advocates, communicates, educates and celebrates on behalf of the creative sector in Washtenaw County.
Where can I find grants?
The Arts Alliance administers minigrants on behalf of the Michigan Council for Arts & Cultural Affairs for Hillsdale, Jackson, Livingston, Lenawee, Monroe and Washtenaw Counties. Information about our minigrant opportunities are listed on our MCACA minigrant page. Information about MCACA’s larger grant opportunities can be found on their website. We also post information about other funding opportunities that we hear about in our biweekly Culture eNewsletter – we recommend that you subscribe!
What is the creative sector?
The Creative Sector includes all individuals, organizations and businesses that use creativity to generate and enhance their craft. Indeed, the creative sector overlaps with numerous other sectors as well – placemaking, health & well-being, economic development, government, environment, philanthropy, tourism, education, manufacturing and more! The Creative Sector of Washtenaw County consists of over 2,500 artists (musicians, performers, dancers, writers, visual artists, designers, etc.), 244 cultural organizations (visual, performing, science museums, etc.) and over 1,300 creative businesses.
Where can I find a sculptor/painter/etc.?
We feature our membership, which includes many local artists and creative organizations, in our Arts and Cultural Guide. We encourage you to peruse our membership if you are looking for local creative talent and contact them directly. Looking for additional suggestions? Contact the Arts Alliance staff at firstname.lastname@example.org and we are happy to brainstorm additional possibilities for you.
Where do I find space to create art?
Creative space options are always changing. Our biweekly Cultural eNewsletter includes a “space chase” section where we are happy to post a small free ad for you. Email your request to email@example.com. We will include your ad for two newsletters (4 weeks). Alternatively our staff may also have some suggestions for you depending on your needs.
Where do I find calls for artists or auditions?
Calls for art and audition opportunities are always listed in our biweekly Cultural eNewsletter – please subscribe (it’s free)! We also recommend keeping an eye on Creative Many for additional opportunities.
Why should I be a member of The Arts Alliance?
Here are five reasons why YOU should join The Arts Alliance:
- We turn to members first for opinions, insights, ideas and opportunities.
- We work to sustain & grow the creative sector for you, your business and your family through arts education, public art management, advocacy work and so much more.
- We market you – members get priority for inclusion in our bi-weekly Cultural eNewsletter, social media shout outs, listing on our website and in The Annual Arts & Cultural Guide (over 32,000 printed copies!)
- Your support enables us to advocate for arts and cultural access and resources for you and your community. We distribute minigrants to organizations and professional development funds to artists and arts professionals across six counties and work to integrate arts and culture into schools.
- When issues arise that may impact the creative community we are there to represent you, the creative voice, and the vibrancy of the entire Washtenaw County region.
How do I get my information in the eNewsletter?
Email your newsletter inclusion request to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include public contact information (name, email address and/or phone number), website, exact dates and times of your event (if applicable) and a brief (1-2 sentence) description. Events and calls for art or auditions are typically listed for two newsletter cycles. Please send your information to us no more than 6 weeks before the deadline. Space is limited, and priority goes to individuals and organizations who are Arts Alliance members.